The Office of the General Treasurer was established under the Rhode Island Constitution as one of the five general State Officers elected by the voters. As custodian of State funds, Treasurer Magaziner has responsibility for the safe and prudent management of the State’s finances.
Treasurer Magaziner works to strengthen our state’s financial and economic foundation through programs and initiatives which include:
• Responsible stewardship of the State’s financial accounts and investments
• A pension system devoted to ensuring retirement security for Rhode Island teachers, State and municipal employees, public safety officers and other public servants
• A compensation program to assist Rhode Islanders who are victims of violent crimes
• Collection and safe custody of Rhode Islanders’ lost and unclaimed property
• Administration of CollegeBound Saver, a tax-efficient savings program to help Rhode Islanders prepare for the expense of pursuing higher education
Treasurer Magaziner serves on the board of the Rhode Island Infrastructure Bank, along with the State Investment Commission, the State Retirement Board, the Public Finance Management Board, the Rhode Island Housing and Mortgage Finance Corporation, the Rhode Island Student Loan Authority and the Rhode Island School Building Authority. The Treasurer is also co-chair of the Rhode Island School Building Task Force.
Other areas under the Treasurer’s responsibility include the care and management of the Abraham Touro Fund and the Childhood Disease Fund.